Shalom Farm House
The ninety acres of property that would eventually become Shalom House Retreat Center was acquired by the Catholic Diocese of Richmond in 1981. At that time the property consisted of a farmhouse and large pond.
Shalom House had its opening in 1983. At that time, the farmhouse had five bedrooms, one of which was used by the on-site director. Each of the remaining four bedrooms had three beds for a maximum capacity of twelve guests.
Starting in 1993, renovation and additions to the farmhouse included a dining room, small chapel and office space.
In 1997 and 1999, two lodges were built to increase overnight accommodations. Each lodge has eight bedrooms with twin capacity, bathrooms, kitchenette, and a large meeting room.
Now in 2021, the Catholic Diocese of Richmond sold this beautiful, peaceful retreat to Jeff & Gayle Stoneman of Montpelier, Virginia.
From humble beginnings of a farmhouse built in 1908, Shalom House has grown into a multi-purpose retreat and meeting center with expanded facilities while continuing its mission of service.